Wednesday, March 8, 2017

A Pain Management Update


With everything going on I never mentioned this fun fact:


It's been about two weeks, maybe more since I stopped using edibles on a daily basis.


On Friday, February 17th I had my very first cortisone shot ever. I hope to never have a repeat. Remember that it was a desperate move to gain more range of motion (ROM). Shilo held me down as I was being injected and tears were just flowing. I rarely cry out loud. Sunshine will, but only for emotional reasons. It was not pretty. I never looked at the needle or syringe, but I've seen it done before when I was a medic in the USAF and I know the syringe is HUGE. Shilo later told me how surprised/appalled he was when he saw it. I believe he said he'd cry too.


Anyway, it worked!!! My ROM has improved significantly, and a few days after my Monday morning PT, (2-20) I decided to not use any edibles unless I really needed it, or on PT days before the PT, and other than that, only if my pain was at a 3+ (You can refer to my pain chart at: https://keepcalmanddowhatmerrytellsyou.blogspot.com/2016/12/field-trip-report-and-diary-12-25_25.html ) I have edibles for when I need them, and I'm happy to say that I'm no longer dependent on pain relief to function.


Yes, I still have days when I need the pain relief, and I take the minimum amount needed (usually 1 stick, rarely 2) and there are times when I want to take it and I'm not really in that much pain, so I don't take any and I "ride" through the pain and discomfort. I really feel the cannabis was helpful in getting me off the opioids when they weren't working anymore, and I was on the verge of addiction or overdosing to get enough relief.


I still have a long way to go on my PT, but I don't feel nearly as hopeless as I did. I'm also "re-training" myself to use my right hand/arm when I can. I still paddle with my left, but I manage to give Shilo a pink bottom with it. I need to start focusing on using my right arm again for that, but I still have some fear with that.


One step at a time.

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear you have an option that's helpful! (If it was me, I'd opt for the recreational cannabis! If I had more hair (at this point in my life) I might even opt for dreadlocks! Ya, mon.

    >>>>>>>There was a guy who loved his girlfriend, Wendy, so much he went to have her name tattooed on his member......but given his size the tattooist could only fit "WDY". One day he's on vacation with his sweetheart in Jamaica and he ends up in a men's room peeing right next to a full-fledged rasta with massive dreads and reeking of weed. While not actually trying to look he accidentally notices that the rasta-man next to him also has "WDY" tattooed on his member. He can't believe the coincidence and says, "excuse me, I didn't mean to look, but I couldn't help but notice your tattoo. Is your girlfriend also named 'Wendy' like mine?"

    To which the nonplussed rasta replies, "oh no mon. Dis tattoo don't say 'Wendy'...it say 'Welcome to Jamaica, Have a nice day."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah dreads! The guy that pierces me is about 5'5" tall and has dreads to his ankles. Yes, he's Rasta, No, he's not black. He's a white boy from Indiana,and shockingly enough, he's vegan and straight edge.

      I guess I had known him for about 3 years when I found out that he's white. I saw a picture of the 8 y/o version of him. I was shocked! Let's just say that he's spent so much time in the sun that determining his race (other than possibly human) was difficult.

      Cute joke though...

      I'm pretty sure Shilo could wear dreads, but I don't think he'd like it.

      Delete
  2. I did NOT say, that "I would cry too" (unless it was out of sympathy), because I know I would not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You told Sunshine that you'd cry, and it was probably out of sympathy. I do remember you telling me that it was unpleasant to watch. We all know that you rarely cry.

      Delete